Thursday, January 21, 2016

November 2015


Whats new in Solfege?

I love creating little rhymes and solfege tunes to use in group and pre-school classes.  This fall my students just loved posing as a Jack-o-lantern when we sang "Pumpkin Pumpkin" for the month of October. 

New this month is "Winter" and  "Never Make a Sound". Never make a Sound is about a Snowman melting quietly away.  Both tunes help children in understanding piano and pianissimo as dynamics.

I believe in supporting musicians who compose music and stores that sell it.  At the beginning of each teaching  year I have students purchase their books from local music stores.

But I do have quite an extensive library of music that I loan out to students.  Some books have been given to me by parents whose child has gone on the to the next level, finished music, a Value Village find or I've purchased it myself so I'm able to loan out books as students need them.

But the problem is, although I keep a list of students who borrow music some how that list disappears or I forget about it or parents say they cannot find the book.  My books have my name written on them in BOLD and should be easy to find.  In August I decided to send out a note out to parents regarding books that needed to be returned.  One parent after having four children with me over 12 years returned 14 books, I just had to laugh.  So I've been mulling over on how do I keep track of all the books?

I've decided  that  taking a picture of the student who borrows a book with the book they borrow.  This way I will have a record of the student with the book and will also have a record of the title, colour of the book and composer all on my phone. Simple and easy. 

I'm a fan of composers who have studio licenses for their music.  A studio license gives me permission to print off as many copies as I need and I don't have to worry about whether the music is returned or not.

Tonight I'm off to see Natalie MacMaster. So excited to hear east coast music again and Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends.
Musicallyours,
Lois
Solo Time Music Games

What does Solo Time Music Games have for you?
There is the Santa Claus practice incentive to encourage practicing during the upcoming busy Christmas season. 
Use this tune at recital and divide the audience in half
or thirds to sing this lovely song called
Sing Sing Together.
Composing with Music for Young Children is here.  Check out the composing aids that have been created to help students complete their compositions.
Caterpillar Composing, Composer Tricks,
Composing Snowman, Composing Spinner.

No comments: